View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 AM   #30
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I only threw a shoe once. Never again.

I was in the first year of school, so 4-5. We were going for a walk in the Convent garden when my teacher saw a shoe by the side of the bushes. It looked long abandoned, an old tramp's shoe. She threw it further into the bushes - this was in the days before recyling. Now something in my little anarchist soul rejoiced at this - shoes, which had to be cared for, not scuffed, which WERE EXPENSIVE could be thrown into bushes! You couldn't even do that with litter!

A few days later on the playing field, I found my chance. A whole pile of abandoned shoes! I took one at random and lobbed it over the hedge into the allotments beyond. It really flew. Sadly, they belonged to a group of older girls doing handstands nearby. I was completely unable to explain myself and fell back on a lie suggested by the girl whose shoe I had liberated, "Did an older girl tell you to do it?" I was still in trouble, but so genuinely baffled that they let me off lightly.

Sorry Catherine Gordon. I honestly didn't know it was wrong, but I did do it on purpose.