View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #51
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The rate of violent crimes in general is higher in nations that prohibit gun ownership, including Canada, Australia, and the UK.
Radar, can you provide some evidence for this claim?

Wikipedia offers the following list of murder rates per 100,000 people (most recent data):

USA: 5.9
UK: 2.03
Canada: 2.01
Australia: 1.28

You're MUCH more likely to be murdered if you live in the US than one of the other countries you claim have higher levels of violent crime.

Meanwhile this site (NationMaster, they say their figures come from the CIA world factbook) gives figures for assaults per 1,000:
US: 7.569
UK: 7.459
Canada: 7.118
Australia: 7.024

Which are more pretty much the same. What this says to me is that these cultures are about equally violent, but in the US the violence is more likely to lead to death.

This site also gives the figures for robberies per 1,000 (which combine violence with property crime)

UK: 1.574
USA: 1.385
Australia: 1.160
Canada: 0.823

Ok, second out of four, but first for assaults and clear first in murders. I suspect that this is simply because it is so much easier for an assault to become a murder when one or both parties have guns.
Maybe this is the price the USA chooses to pay in exchange for the benefits of an armed populace, and that is the decision of those who live there, that is, you and not me.
But you will be more persuasive if you can keep your facts correct and refrain from disparaging other countries.