View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 02:04 AM   #29
LuckyJoe
Non-Newbie Sort

I got a letter from Nobel House yesterday. I've been looking into it as everyone else has. Hence how I stumbled accrost this site. Knowing my publishers and where I've published has helped me come to this conclushion. I'm not going to say that I'm right but everyone is looking for an answer. The letter resembles close to all the letters I've got from the International Society of Poetry (poety.com, Watermark Press, Congress of Poetry whatever you might know them as). Yes they are all owned by or are sisters companys of one another. I'm in firm belief that Noble House has joined, been bought out or buys the information of the poets they wish to feature in their compulations.

I haven't read through all the strings of this post but most of them. As someone said they have used ISP (International Society of Poetry) to publish their work. Its a great idea and I support everyone that does this. You're work is getting out to an International audience you're being published. Feels good doesn't it? I was the same way until I looked into things a little deeper. ISP should as someone else said give everyone of the poets involved in the compulation a free copy rather than offering a reduced rate. They are making somewhere around 17.5 million a year in profits. As well as the fact that they accept poetry from anyone no matter the quality. Think of all the six year olds that submit and the parents buy a copy because their child has been published. Its a money cow! I can only hope that by publishing with them its truely helping those who want to make it in the business of writing. Otherwise we're just lining the pockets of someone who has found a legal way to decieve us, the writers.

I myself am going to submit my work to Noble House for the following reason(s). The publication of this compulation"Theatre of the Mind" is going to be 225 pages. Each page containing one single poem. The compulations the Internation Society of Poerty puts together are 265 pages crammed fully of poetry. A typical page has 3 to 6 poems in small font. So if they are picking only 225 people to submit poems for this compulation doesn't that make you feel better than knowing you're one of 795-1590? That means your work has 353% to 707% better chances of being seen. That many less poems to compete with. Look at the numbers and ask yourself this one question "Whats the next step going to be."

Take those figures and you might only be two or three discovery's away from having your own book of poetry published.
I realise that I rambled on but just wanted everyone to see what I figure to be reality. Please forgive me for my spelling as well I know its bad. Its late and I didn't feel like proofreading. Free-type is so much faster