View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #1459
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

ack Ali, that sucks

Upsetting me today is: I am tired, really really tired. Every part of me aches. I've pulled muscles I didn't know I had, I've fucked my lungs up (temporarily) shovelling fucking rubble and rotted floor covering, my skin isn't very happy either after days and days of dusty work. Have I mentioned I am tired?

Two weekends in a row, plus two frdays and two mondays and one Wednesday we've been clearing out the local party HQ building. Sale completed yesterday at 5pm....it had to be clear, like totaly clear and in a relatively clean state. By we, I mean me and D. Two of us have worked ourselves into the fucking ground on this, to get the party out from under a bloody big albatross just in time for the commercial sector to plummet. We got a few hours of help from a few people when they were able to: J did a bit, my mum helped go through a filing cabinet, a guy from the other constituency spent three hours lifting heavy furniture. But me and D were there throughout. Thirty years accumulated junk and furniture on four floors to deal with. Case files and party records to sort through into confidential waste, recycling and keeping. All furniture had to be either skipped, given away or brought down to one place for the recycling truck on monday morning.

The top floor is derelict: holes in the roof, plaster and rubble all over the floor, rotting lino and floor covering. We (D and I) swept it up and bagged it and got it to the tip. D organised collections of confidential waste, D organised the skip, D organised the recycling crusher van. All whilst working a full week around it and dealing with the solicitor for the sale of the building. I've been trying to keep up with uni work, spend whatever time I can down at the rooms, attend meetings etc etc...all whilst finding every movement painful because I have done something to my lower back and hips.

Last night at 5pm I felt about ready to collapse. Literally. Today I am dog tired and in two hours I have an important meeting to go to. I. Have. Had. Enough.

But...we did it. We got it sold in the teeth of obstructionist bastards. Got ourselves out from under a building that has so many holes and cracks it looks like it's about to sink into the ground any moment. A building we couldn't afford to keep because the party has no income stream (the building was no longer suitable for renting out for meetings, and no longer suitable [safe] for the MP to rent as her office). The bastards (faction) have tried to make it difficult, they like to gnaw on a bone. They wanted us to fail so they can beat us with that stick. Well they can fuck off we've done it
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote