View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #1089
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur View Post
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett... yes, it's the Oprah book. Please don't scorn me for that, BUT it's REALLY REALLY good! Wish I had more time to read it!
Are you really my friend Dave? I was talking to him on the phone just last night and he is reading and enjoying it too. Check out who it is dedicated to. I know her. In fact I slept overnight more than once in Mr F's house after hard partying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
And are you stalking me? I read David Copperfield recently and I have this in my book pile to read this week. I must stop buying cut priced books from Save the Children and get on with my library books.

I'm reading Wicked on Happy Monkey's recommendation - and also because my ex-pat bff enjoyed it. I like it so far, but worry that it means I can't see the musical because it will annoy me how much they've left out. Always something to worry about...

I've just finished A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown. The story of a child who went through the childcare system and ended up a drink and drug addict, stealing and turning tricks to support her habits. A surprisingly funny book - I laughed out loud in the hairdressers and found it hard to explain what was funny (Cup has the DTs and is swearing at the spiders approaching her singing a Queen song). I liked it less when she found God, but I guess you have to take some of that from people who've been through the Twelve Steps. I didn't go to AA that evening because I felt I'd had enough of coincidences being chalked up to a Higher Power for one day. Honestly, God can find the time to provide crockery for a reformed addict but doesn't step in to stop the child abuse that caused the addiction. Hmmmm.