View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #1617
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm sorry, Merc. Died after falling--were the two related?

(everybody go do some balance training!)
She was 74 and for some reason getting really batty. We were in the process of selling her home and moving her to an assisted living facility the following month. She was complaining of lots of back and hip pain, being followed by an ortho doc and chiropractor. Xmas day she fell and broke her hip and her upper arm. When the took her to surgery they discovered that the fractures were pathologic (caused by disease, tumor). After a chest CT they found extensive bone, lung (primary), and lymph cancer. She was discharged to a total care nursing home after 12 days in the hospital and died after six weeks in the home. Pretty wild ride from driving herself everywhere before Thanksgiving to getting batty and not being able to do anything by Xmas, then the fall, and now gone. Needless to say my wife has been over to her house, the hospital, and home nearly everyday since this started. I hate to say it but I wish she had gone sooner, she would have suffered less. The nursing home did really great with her. Wonderful care. They kept her really comfortable towards the end.