View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
idyllhands
Non-Newbie Sort

Engagement ring besides diamond?

Hi guys. Just seeking some advice from anyone who has it to give. I am going to ask my girlfriend to marry me this week on her birthday and need help on choosing a ring. I've been planning to ask her for a while now, but wanted to wait for the right time (which I think has finally come)
One problem I have is that she is morally opposed to diamonds (or, to be more accurate, opposed to the methods used to mine diamonds). I want to know other folks advice on a good alternate stone to buy her. I don't know anything about jewelery or jewels, so I'm in serious need of help. Also, is there a good trustworthy place to buy rings online? And how about a good way to determine her ring size without asking her?
I hope you don't mind if I lay out my proposal plan on you while I'm at it
I am currently out of town working 72 hours a week about an hour from home (staying at her parent's house, since they were kind enough to let me). I am going home to see her this coming Friday, which is also her birthday, and also my only day off (72 hour weeks suck )
What I am planning on doing is asking her to go on a walk with me since it is supposed to finally be nice out by then, and walking with her down to the park where there is a special tree. I'm going to call my best friend too to come along with his digital camera (on the pretense that he just wants to take pictures of the blooming springtime) and ask him to take a picture of us in front of the tree that we climbed together one of the first times we really hung out together all those years ago, and propose then (Is it weird to want pictures?)
My other problem is that I'm out of town so I have to order online if I want a ring by then. Is there such a thing as a pre-engagement ring?
Any advice is appreciated--regarding the ring and/or my plan. Sorry if this post is crappy, I usually edit them first but after a 12 hour day, my brain is crappy too.
ps-I can ask her mom what size ring she wears, but I'm afraid her mom will blow the secret.
idyllhands is offline   Reply With Quote