View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #1831
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
They put my Grammy (my last grandparent) in the hospital. I guess she was having difficulty breathing, and they want to run tests. Mom called to put me on warning, because as my dad said "She's 95. She's worn out."

She lived in her own home until just recently, when dementia demanded she needed more care.

She misses Gramps. They were married 55 years when he passed away, some 20 years ago. They were something else. Friends. Buddies. In love all those years.

Ah Shawnee. I can't mouth platitudes about the fact she's going to go to a better place because you know I don't believe it. But at 95 she must have lived a full life and obviously made an impression on you. I genuinely believe the way we live on is in the memory of others. Talk to your nieces about her. Knowing you, you took the time to hear her stories while she could still tell them.

Some people burn brightly, some flicker on. Sounds like she has had both in her life. Just feel glad she is - and has been - loved and is probably now beyond any pain and regret.