View Single Post
Old 10-16-2001, 02:00 PM   #39
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by leif
tT?ay "alternative energy" I don't mean nuclear; I was more thinking along the lines of hydrogen fuel-cells or other modern/clean technologies. I'm no scientist; I just know what I've picked up on NPR, Slashdot, AlterNet.org, and the like, but it sounds to me like the technology is here and we just need to put it into widespread use.
Learning energy tech from NPR and /. is like learning about computers at Sears. You'll be entitled to hold the opinion that we should just switch to alternate energy when you actually know something about it.

Quote:
Within hours of the attack, his name was on all the news stations. Remember, there has still been zero conclusive evidence against him.
That just *might* have something to do with the tfact that he's been threateneing to do exactly this sort of thing for years, has written extensively on techniques for doing it, and his people have been stopped just before doing it before a number of times. Those who have seen the evidence (which isn't on cnn.com for your personal perusal yet to protect the sources and methods that produced it--remeber the story of Enigma and Coventry?) say it's compelling.

Quote:
everyone from Jerry Falwell to ME has said we had it coming
Now *thats'* a broad range of authoritiative sources. Falwell's theory was that it was God punishing the queers...the same reasoning he applied to AIDS, as I recall.

Quote:
The Taliban has said repeatedly that they are willing the negotiate, if we can just show them some proof bin Laden was involved.
Their willingess to "negotiate" suddenly appeared when we demonstrated we were ready to apply military force and had widespread backing for it. "Negotiating" isn't being offered now, nor should it be. The time for "negotiating" was back last December, when the UN imposed sanctions on the Taliban for not surrendering bin Laden and his buddies.

Quote:
We (supposedly) have the proof; why not just show it to them? "National Security Concerns". Well, little kids wearing rags are getting blown the fuck up because of our precious national security,
No, they're getting blown up because their government is run by outlaw religious fanatics who are providing a front operation for terrorists. This isn't time to open the bazaar. "Our precious national security" has to do with keeping *our* kids out of rags and safe from being blown up. Where has your concern about Afghan kids been for the last ten years?

Quote:

Are YOU and ME benefiting from an economy that relies on their oil?...
I'd continue but I'm at work...
Well, *you* don't seem to be doing too badly then, eh?

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote