View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think we need to know what you intend to wear the suit(s) for. They're not a one fits all occasions type thing. BDM suits have different needs than office suits. In the office it may depend whether it's air conditioned, whether you sit all day or walk around a lot..... and if you're planning to be a funeral director you may have different needs than if you're planning to take pictures at summer weddings. etc.

Wool does not sound ideal to me... unless you're in an unheated office in winter.... but it's been a long time since I worked in menswear.... maybe they've worked miracles with woolen fabrics...

Navy, though ....no. That's dated. imo. It almost says "I wear Depends" or "My mother chose my suit". Dark gray and black are the only colors which are really always in style. If you cannot tolerate plain material or need a little extra, a thin (vertical) pinstripe rarely goes out of style. Thicker stripes and checkers and all that other stuff comes and goes....

Single-breasted, definitely. And go for the longer side of average on the jacket length. Shorter and double breasted jackets come and go in popularity. And I agree with Jinx, double breasted looks pretty awful on most.

One last thing, why buy two at once? Is it essential? Especially if you're forking out loadsa dosh for bespoke tailoring. Why not get one, wear it in, see what you like and dislike about it, then pick the second.

(BDM =Births, Deaths and Marriages)
(menswear = Saturday and Summers in Top Man )
(Bespoke is apparently uniquley British, but :p, I like it)