View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #39
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'd plump for RAH's Time Enough For Love. I recently reread Number Of The Beast and was amused to rediscover a sequel element in it to TEFL, though NOTB is perhaps the most peculiar of late Heinlein. Computer plotbunnies end up dating the piece, at best.

Other dead white men in Sci-Fi that I've found stand rereading: Zelazny, Anderson, Clarke; just about any title from these. Bradbury is of that generation, and still with us for the next few years anyway. He's quite lit'r'ry. I've rather lost my taste for Ellison, though the man's still fun to watch. The now apparently retired Alan Dean Foster is my idea of someone to write better than.

Nonfiction: you could hardly do better than the perennial John McPhee. Particularly his tetralogy-plus Annals Of The Former World -- four and a half books all about rocks and deep time, and he makes the rocks sing. Even those who believe they must reject science to be good Christians could read the long handiwork of the Creator, marvelous in our sight, in this tale told in the rocks.

I just reread McPhee's Oranges.