View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 03:12 AM   #7
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
A majority of Pals believe that "occupation" includes the entire land of Israel.
Doesn't it?

UT, stuff like this is happening in many different places, and I fear that Ghandi was the anomaly. Situations such as this are not something that I like to see or recognize, but they are happening in way too many places now to ignore. I (somewhat) blame modern weaponry for allowing extremists to use children to fight; how the wars have been fought has changed in modern times, though the animosity has been there for generations in many cases. Children are being trained to hate the enemy in many battlefields around the globe. Children are robbed from their parents and forced to join fighting forces at gunpoint. That is wrong, but most Causes realize that their Cause will die if the impressionable children do not support them.

In a serious conflict, there is going to be hatred. Whether atrocities are committed by helicopter or on the streets, they are still atrocities, something that I worry that people forget, the assumption that authority and establishment make right. The victims that the Palestinians can get their hands on are (probably) either conceived of as martyrs or defeated oppressors; both are worth parading through the street.

richlevy: Christianity might not have had to hide any more, but there were still many struggles between the various sects of Christianity and they still fought the people on the outside (such as the Native Americans and the Muslims). How many people died trying to decide whether Jesus Christ was made of God-stuff or human-stuff? How many people died trying to decide whether the Pope held the keys to Heaven?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote