View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
... the poisonous partisan atmosphere of American politics? Is there anything we can do reduce the partisan nature of politics?
I reject the premise. I don't think "partisan politics" is a bad thing.

Take the issue of taxation. I vote for representatives who share my view on taxation. I think it is in the best interest of everyone to have a minimally intrusive government in the economic workings of society.

There are other people who believe that it is in the best interest of everyone to have a government that actively redistributes the wealth of its citizens.

I want my representative to be partisan on this issue. I expect it of them. I consider the good faith of my vote for them to have been violated if they choose the false value of "reaching across the aisle" over honoring the integrity of my vote for them.

I expect my representative to be an advocate for the principles that I value. I expect them to be contentious for those issues. If politics are not partisan, then we have either ceased to be people who rationally disagree on critical issues, or our representatives have ceased to represent.