View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

The only ads I block fervently are animated ads. I hate those. Bloody distracting.

I don't mind paying for a site's content, but so far most sites have really crappy subscription models. The ones I usually go for are those with a Paypal Donation link or similar, and I just drop $5 every once in a while, as long as the content is worthwhile.

I actually used to run an A+ Certification study website that got somewhat substantial traffic... 19,000 unique visitors per month... and managed to do so without ads. I did it at my own expense, and the retun on investment was a whole Internet full of sites which similarly offered free information, and an inbox full of thank-yous (aka good karma). To annoy visitors with banner ads wasn't worth the $12-$18 I could have gained per month.

As far as mass media goes, it's scary that the previously blurred lines between news, entertainment, and marketing are now pretty much gone in America. I shudder to think what it will be like ten years from now. Makes me think twice about having kids.