View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
To quote you, "its a great thought in theory, but the reality is quite different".
walmart/Wall Street, has already ushered China to a place at the table of movers & shakers.
That doesn't mean they need stay there (although, I'm putting on my tinfoil cap if I think they're leaving any time soon). One can always boycott Chinamart whever possible. One can push one's representatives' in DC to pass different laws. One can do many things. If they'll work is another question. But we need to keep trying to be the hero's of own lives, or else some MBA or politician will jump in there and you won't recognize the sleezy face that peers out of the mirror at you every the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What concerns the Party in China, is remaining in control by any means at their disposal... the same as every other political entity in the world. Their lack of sophistication just makes them seem more ruthless.

The party is not the most controlling government, when it comes to the internet. Check out the posts by Billy. If he was complaining about the Party, or being critical of their tactics, I'm sure they would know and probably act on it. But, as long as their citizens are using the internet for something other than an instrument of protest, or embarrassment, against the Party, they have pretty much free access.
I am in agreement with you that what the party cares about is control above all things. Those spammers probably have to grease the right political hand. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I've lurked here alot before starting to post, so I recall some of Billy's posts. I differ with you that refraining from speaking out against one's government is being allowed "freedom." The term is more closely described as reign of terror through enforced silence.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote