View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Okay, well I guess I'm going to try to tackle some of your points. I'm only going to pick a few, so as to narrow it down a little.

Quote:
Originally posted by joydriven
It does not matter what I think or say, nor what you think or say. God is very absolute in the Bible--very specific about how Creation took place, very specific about the only Way to heaven.
Do you really believe that? That the written word isn't open to interpretation? That translations don't skew the meaning? If it's so absolute, why all the different denominations?

And furthermore, on what evidence do you believe that God even wrote the bible? Or do you frown upon asking for evidence?

Quote:
Originally posted by joydriven
God justifies the justifiable actions of civil authorities. Under the Old Testament law, the community leaders were sanctioned with the authority to judge communal affairs and carry out the punishments deemed.
Great, so the massacre of 6 million Jews under the authority of the German government was okay? What about medeval governments who would routinely torture their subjects? Is that okay with God? Is it okay with God that the Iraqi government tortured dissidents?

One more question. I'm going to be a father in November. Let's say, hypothetically, that I become a Christian before then, and I decide that I now respect God and his decisions and choices. At some point, I'm going to have to learn how to discipline my child. I decide that I'll model my behavior after the most Good person I know, God.

So I say to my child, "Clean your room. If you do this, I'll buy you ice cream. If you don't, I'll bake you in the oven. I'm preheating it to 525 degrees fahrenheit right now. The choice is yours. "

Is my diciplinary style good or evil?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote