View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
joydriven
joywriting in the rock river valley

circular reasoning vs. faith

Quote:
Torrere: The Bible makes sense and verifies itself as being accurate and true, if the observer already believes that the Bible is true. What would convince me, as someone who does not already wholly believe in the Bible, that Christianity is more valid than Islam or Judaism?
Absolutely nothing, friend. If you are looking for answers that come from flawless arguments within the realm of logic, I cannot go further than to use logic to prove to you that you rely on faith for other things and can therefore accept the Bible through faith as well.

I didn't say that circular reasoning was prerequisite to faith in the Bible. I recognize that it seems so to an extent, particularly to those in your position who doubt the Bible's qualifications and credibility. In the realm of logic/debate, using the Bible's self-claims about the Bible's authenticity and authority is not a valid method; it would be called circular reasoning. However, I am trying to point out that there may be other realms, beyond that of logic/debate. In the realm of faith (in which realm we all dabble every day on points far less consequential than the Bible's claims), circular reasoning is a non-entity.

Last edited by joydriven; 07-10-2003 at 02:20 PM.
joydriven is offline   Reply With Quote