View Single Post
Old 10-28-2001, 07:08 PM   #7
juju
no one of consequence

I think it was Whit that told me about this next-generation fighter-jet. (I could be wrong though..i don't remember). It's a prototype for a plane that's still in development.

[from the article:]

<b>
The Boeing Company and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) are teamed to develop a prototype fighter aircraft designed for stealth and agility. The result--after only 28 months--is a subscale tailless aircraft called the X-36.

The 28-percent scale, remotely piloted X-36 has no vertical or horizontal tails, yet it is expected to be more maneuverable and agile than today's fighters. In addition, the tailless design reduces the weight, drag and radar cross section typically associated with traditional fighter aircraft.
</b>
<b>
Using a video camera in the nose of the vehicle, a pilot controls the flight of the X-36 from a virtual cockpit--complete with head-up display (HUD)--in a ground-based station. This pilot-in-the-loop approach eliminates the need for expensive and complex autonomous flight control systems.
</b>

Cool, huh?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote