View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #22
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Shall we have a poll? How far over the "limit" did you go?

...I'm thinking it's only "in the spirit of the thing" if you don't make a song and dance about it. Think about the recipient just scraping by, who had to wait until their paycheck was cashed to buy and send their present. They receive an awesome gift! Wow! Their SS must be an awesome shopper! Then they learn that their SS thought they were a good charitable cause and deserved it, and spent three times as much as they did on the present. What if their recipient did the same and as a result thinks the gift they received is lame.....

I don't think anyone participating in this is expecting something that's going be 'the best gift ever'. That's not the point of the excercise from my perspective. To me it's just a fun way to do something which involves most of us who've posted here for a while and who have an understanding of each other.

If I were to stick to the limit, my giftee would be getting an empty box. I went at least twice over the limit, but I don't think my gift really suggests that. It's really quite simple, but i tried to be thoughtful and in doing so, I spent more than the allotted amount.

If anyone thinks the gift they recieve is 'lame', I don't think they're really entering into this thing with the spirit it's intended.