View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #3131
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Honestly? I have only ever had the courage to try doing Yorkshire puds from scratch a couple of times in life and they weren't pretty. I am a culinary coward. I stick with the Aunt Bessies. This fear of Yorkshire puds is an inherited one.

[eta] Now I have mad cravings for Toad in the Hole. I have no way of assuaging that craving without either a) making toad in the whole using ingredients bought atthe local shop - never gonna happen, or b) taking a chance with the Birds Eye frozen TitH - unwise.
Dana, it's so easy (and cheap cheap CHEAP)!! Don't listen to all that crap about leaving the batter to rest, or adding sparkling water or this or that type of flour (plain or self-raising will do) or any of that fancy Yorkshire folklore. 4 oz flour in a bowl, make as much of a dimple as you can in the flour and break one egg into it, using a fork start to mix the egg with the flour around it in ever increasing circles. Before it gets too sticky (still loads of flour around the edge of the bowl) bit by bit add half a pint of milk, stirring it in with more of the flour each time. If you mess up and get lumps, beat the crap out of it at the end - use a whisk or brute violence or both.
During this process you've started to roast your sausages in the oven in a little fat. When the batter is mixed turn the oven up (mark 8, 225 degrees), pour the batter over the sausages and slam back in the oven for 20-30 minutes. If you open the door too soon it'll flop a little - just don't tell your gran.
Or come and visit with SG and we'll have Yorkshire pud lessons (taught by a Londoner in Scotland) :p !