View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #61
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Looks to me like you've got all the big pitfalls covered.

* Relatives to stay with ( reduces costs and risk )
* Relative that will be a mentor in the busines (Uncle Manny and him allowing the use of his cart until you go live)
* Backup cash/zero debt or bills.
* Family support for your wife. Until the cash flows she'll most likely not be on board. When it does she might try to take credit for the whole idea.

You're in a prime position.

Now, let me add something else.

I'm here in rural Indiana. It's cheap living here and there are three world class ortho products corporations with good blue and white collar jobs available. This area has been insulated from the obvious downturns in towns not far away. That could change overnight.

Food prices are increasing. People are spending less. We don't know what's coming next. The market continues it's decline. Gold and silver are up 20-30% over the last 3 months. There are more people on UC now than ever before.

Times are tough. It seems perfectly plausible that they are going to get much worse.

My point is that I'm skeptical that people in large numbers are going to be ready willing and able to spend money on dogs rather than going to the supermarket and cook them at home. Or as my inlaws often do, prepare foods before going out and eating those cheap home cooked foods on location.

If there is an event that changes the dynamics of the game you may have foods too expensive for the times. This is not all that unrealistic in my mind. You may also have an expensive cart with no customers.

Alternate action:

If you can ditribute dogs throughout a crowd with your cart, you may also distribute "other items" that may be more suited for the times.

You decide what "other items" might be.

If you game the situation ahead of time you may be able to take a profitable venture of selling dogs here and there into an embarassingly profitable venture should the excrement hit the fan.

And I do believe that we think alike that doesn't frighten me. As we decline into chaos we may each find that we have much more common ground than we might think.

As the money evaporates out of the US things are going to change. Survival may become more important than arguing.

Or not. Who knows?

Go for the biz. You're in good shape.

Last edited by slang; 02-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote