View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/19/2003: Happy bovine

Happy Friday! I think it was xoxoxobruce who caught this one? A few of you have hit me with images recently and this one turns out to be the best animal pic in the queue, even those there are no details on it.

I lived near a farm for a short while as a kid, and there were always many odd sights like this. The farm was run by a Mennonite family of 15 kids, and it was the kids' job to work the farm while dad went to his day job at the local dairy.

The oddest sight I ever saw was when a pig up and died from something unknown, and I guess it was not to be processed for some reason. So one of the kids went and got a butcher knife and actually quartered the pig right there on the cement ground next to the barn, and then the two farm dogs dragged part of the carcass away UNDER the barn, and had full bellies for days on end. Luckily it was winter so there was no rotting going on.

Then there was the time one of the dogs picked a fight with the family horse. Both of these animals were completely tame; the dog was a friendly, happy German Shepherd Dog (Alsation), and the horse was a tiny little thing that the kids ran around. But on this day the dog decided to have some fun, and began circling the horse and nipping at its heels. After five minutes of this, the horse started to seriously tire (they were on a bit of a hill). Eventually the horse went down, at which point the dog felt it had an advantage and went in closer. And the horse used its final defense, and kicked the crap out of the dog! He wasn't seriously hurt, but he ran off with the traditional "yipe yipe yipe" sound. He learned his lesson that day.

These Mennonite kids were not allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio, and they were overjoyed the day I came over and told them the results of the Super Bowl so they wouldn't have to wait for the newspaper the next day to find out what happened.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote