View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #1461
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Heh. A cow orker and I were going to do an information session, and she was pushing a cart full of materials down the hallway. People were milling about, almost running into her, and I said "I'm amazed how many people are completely oblivious to the fact that other people inhabit the planet." A student walking ahead of us turned to me and just very knowingly nodded her head in agreement.
I noticed this especially last quarter, after befriending a young lady with cerebral palsy in my literature class. You'd think that people would want to be helpful to someone in a wheelchair, get out of the way, help them with doors, etc. and not behave like those mentioned above with the cart-pusher. Not so. How incredibly annoying it must be to deal with that every friggin' day of your LIFE.

Me, I get mad when I am walking along a sidewalk and have to get out of everyone's way as I pass them, and not the other way around. People act like others are invisible.

You know when this is especially annoying? When people walk along a path, at least adults generally follow road traffic rules - they stay on the right side (in the US that is ). So that when you're approaching someone coming the other way, there's rarely a last-second shuffle about who's going to pass on which side. Yeah, except for people who don't do this and instead walk smack in the middle, leaving you to play a game of chicken with them to see who's going to get out of the way first. Why does walking down the road have to be some kind of social challenge?

This reminds me of one of my pet peeves about driving. I hate those folks who pass other cars just to be passing other cars, not because those cars are going too slow or anything. They drive like they're in some kind of race. I don't care where you're going, you will never be the first one there.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote