Thread: Peanuts
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

When I was growing up in the mid 70s my friend's dad owned a beer distributor, which ran out of the local mall.

What? Yes, this was the 70s, and in the forever-changing face of retail, "shopping centers" were transforming into "malls" by adding roofs. And anything might be sold there. This store offered cases of beer to the external-facing side, and to the internal, soft pretzels and bags of roasted peanuts.

The cool part about this was that the peanuts were roasted right there in the store, something you just don't see nowadays. A red-hot roaster sat spinning in the back room. You could buy bags that were still hot, having just been roasted.

My friend was 13 and it was sometimes his job to sell the peanuts and pretzels. His dad was an evil racist, and was teaching his sons to be evil and racist. Therefore, my friend explained to me that the niggers always wanted the well-done peanuts which had been roasted to a darker color.

I had been carefully raised to not be evil or racist, but I always accepted his talk with no objections. That's the nature of power when you're 13.

But sure enough, when I hung out there, I saw that his observation was true. Black people were generally the people buying the well-done peanuts.

Since then, I have preferred the darker peanuts.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote