View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sir Clement Freud

It comes to us all, and yesterday it came to Clement Freud at the age of 84.

Grandson of Sigmund Freud, he'd been a politician in his day. A writer, commentator, broadcaster, cookery expert and regular contestant on a number of (mainly radio) panel games.

He was clever, witty and urbane, and gentle in his delivery. There was something about him that spoke of an older England. I liked his voice. I was always pleased when I heard him introduced on one of the panel games, most of which are bbc radio4 programmes. He was a long running regular contestant on one of my all time favourite game shows: Just a Minute.

There aren't so many of his lot left now. As they leave us, the sound and the cadences of radio are changing. I wonder if we'll retain much of their gentler and less frantic ways of entertaining?

Rest in Peace Sir Clement.

[eta] as an added extra: here's the first 9 mins of a documentary about the radio show Just a Minute, including Sir Clement and Paul Merton and a host of other cool cats:P For those not familiar with the game, contestants have to talk for one minute on a given subject for one minute without hesitation, repetition or deviation. Incidentally, Linda Smith, shown here as a regular contestant is no longer with us. She was a brilliant comedian and a sad loss to British comedy.

this show (Arena) has the best opening credits. I love 'em :P

Last edited by DanaC; 04-16-2009 at 06:27 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote