View Single Post
Old 11-19-2001, 02:14 PM   #6
dave

i like a lot, to be honest. my absolute favorite would have to be debian - i find it to be a joy to administer. instead of having to go find the source, download it, compile it and hope it works right, i can type

apt-get install XXXXXXXX

and it downloads and installs it for me right away, and i know it'll work. plus, debian is exceptionally stable, and that's important to me - i hate downtime.

i'm also a fan of redhat. i appreciate what they're doing for linux, and i think they make a pretty good distribution. it's pretty solid overall, and it tends to work with no problem. Xconfigurator is great (though i haven't used it in years).

and, believe it or not, i like slackware a lot too slackware is what i cut my teeth on back in '96, and it's just stuck. i don't use it on any of my "main" boxes, but it resides on one machine and is my uptime king - some 400 days as i write this, and the last time it was rebooted was so i could put a UPS on the box to save it from power outages. i just like slackware a lot.

suse isn't too bad either. i haven't played with it as much as i would like, but i can see how it has its place. mandrake is also pretty good. it used to be my favorite distribution because i could recommend it to a friend and know that they could get it installed pretty easily, but i found my way back to debian. needless to say, i myself have never run mandrake, but i've gotten it set up for a number of friends and have found it to be relatively painless.

those are really the distributions i've messed with - slackware, redhat, debian, mandrake & suse (in that order) - i have all of them currently installed on machines (except mandrake obviously). also, my dad uses corel, and he likes that... but it's based off of debian, so BFD. but they did a nice job packaging it. he was really impressed with the install.

fyi, my main box currently is a redhat install (5.0 -> 5.1 -> 5.2 -> 6.0 -> 6.1, but wouldn't go to 6.2 because i've customized so much that it broke my system - so i just spent 5 hours fixing it and upgraded everything manually after that). i'm currently in the process of building its replacement (bought more parts today!), and that will run debian, as do all new boxes i build.

how 'bout you?