Thread: Body Language
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #30
Meursault
Cantankerous Incantonator

lmao. you're all heart jinx.

ali: there's never any substitute for a straight-up acknowledgement of bad behavior imo. if i'v only been a little out of line i may make fun of myself if i recognise it immediately, and if i only get around to it later i like to apologise seriously and directly, say thanks for any acceptance, and then move directly on to something cheerful. i try to accept apologies totally and immediately too(tho not if it's over something that's been clogging the air between us for a month, or something that's been apologised for before and then repeated --in this sort of case their willingness to let it fester detracts from any perception of sincerity for me). i find it troublesome if someone wants to re-hash every little thing after getting an apology, but never as troublesome as seeing someone want to either a) act like nothing happened, or b) try to buy their way out of an acknowledgement with favors. this last thing leaves mental detritus behind to trip over later, to become the foundation of resentments. consistent non-acknowledgement makes me think i'm dealing with a fearful and dishonest person eventually, and pretty much ruins a relationship for me.
of course, ideally, there's rarely any wrong to acknowledge.

just another person's 2 cents.....