View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #167
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

First off: yes I know that generally speaking, the context would show that Liv is a proper noun and liv a verb; however, you showed as your example to Shawnee a sentence in which the verb 'Live' is capitalized. Unless you are suggesting we also change the rules on capitalization in titles, then the example you found (and I think you probably had to reach quite hard to find one) would not give the context through capitalization. It is Live in your example; therefore, it would be Liv in my counter example.

In most contexts, even without the clue of capitalization, it would be obvious that Liv and liv are not the same thing; however, again, I must point out, that you chose as your example a game title. Games contain characters, and stories and in that context a subtitle of 'Liv' is just as likely to be a character name as a verb.

Liv is in common currency in the UK. Olivia was the most popular girls name in 2007 and is often shortened. This is about to get even more confusing of course, since the actress Liv Tyler has gone some way to popularising the shortened form Liv as a full name.

Kingswood. You managed to find a very shaky example of a single time that Shawnee's point didn't stand. I pointed out that this very example has room for confusion even if you change the spelling. Your response is to cast aspersions on my ability to spell or to correctly use the English language. Go away and find a less shaky example to support your claims and make our Shawnee eat a smilie.

[eta] oh and to pick up on Monnie's Bullshit call: there's variance between towns and regions of the UK in pronunciation of far more than 1% of the language. That's just region to region in our little island, let alone between British English and American English, and Australian English.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-16-2009 at 04:24 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote