View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Can anyone explain this?
I've been driving shitty used cars my whole life... eventually, inevitably starting down the road of throwing countless dollars down an endless pit (how long do you keep getting it fixed, how soon before you roll it off a cliff and get another?), periodically at the mercy of some unknown, untrusted mechanic, periodically wondering whether the former owner knew full well about the mechanical issues and that's why he sold it (and simultaneously pondering the ethics of doing the same thing to the next guy). I've had quite enough of that. I have other things to worry about.

My latest purchase is a brand-new Honda, fresh from the factory. I will have every service done at the dealership where it was purchased, thus removing all complexity from the equation. I will drive this vehicle for many, many, many years to come. I will get every last use out of this vehicle. My kids will drive it. When it stops moving, I will scavenge it for parts. Then I will scavenge it for scrap metal.

The way I see it you have two choices in life, with all purchases: buy a series of cheap, shitty, ten dollar items which last a month, so that you spend $120 a year, or buy ONE good $50 item which lasts ten years. In this example, you save $1150 over ten years by spending "more" for a good product.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote