View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
Yes. Perhaps we should have given the inspectors some time to find them instead of charging off to war after all.
Well, it is doubtful that this evidence, hidden in an Iraqi citien's residence, would have been found by weapons inspectors.
Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
In the post-war context these things do not really constitute a "smoking gun", but if Kay's discoveries had been discovered pre-war, they would have been highly damning and certainly would have increased support for the war. We forget the pre-war context from 6-8 months ago, but these findings only would have made it more urgent.
Good point. The problem is that we went to war without already having this evidence, or any semi-solid proof of it's existence. The US dished out punishment, and violently took over a country, based on circumstantial evidence. Finding harder evidence later is called "luck." Whew, we didn't guess wrong this time. But what about next time? What if we take over and occupy a country that we later found out did nothing seriously wrong?

I am not directly against the war, I am against the reasons given for having gone to war. They were about as solid as Jell-o. If we hadn't attacked yet, and a bunch of biological and/or warfare stuff started being uncovered, I'd say "bomb the fucker." But to go in with guns blazing because we suspect or fear that a country may be developing deadly weapons... not cool.