View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1672
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

My nephew managed to crack the screen in his laptop. (It survived two tours in Iraq before this, so I guess he got his money's worth out of it.) As I noted in other threads, my parents came up to visit the weekend before last. It had been arranged that they would buy a new LCD screen for it ($90) and bring it and the laptop along, and I would install it.

When I started installing it, I discovered that the hinge on one side was loose--my dad had known this, but I had not been aware of it. As it happened, the hinge assembly on that side had broken, and the one piece was being held sort of in place just by the case. When I pried the case open to remove the damaged LCD, the broken hinge piece popped completely loose.

If we had been on top of this problem, we could have gotten replacement hinges and installed them at the same time as the LCD. Now my dad is going to make the attempt so he can take the laptop back to my nephew when they visit him this weekend. And I, of course, will provide remote advice from 500 miles. (He did watch me do the LCD, so that will help.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote