View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #150
glatt

I tend to look at the insurance companies when I'm looking at the problems with healthcare. They provide a service of redistributing money, but they skim a hell of a lot of that money off for themselves. I don't think they are worth what we pay to have them as part of the system.

In other words, if I look at what my employer and I have paid into the system compared to what I've received in return, it's orders of magnitude off. Granted, I'm young, and haven't needed a lot of medical attention, but we did have two births in my household, and those costs were high.

I'd love to see a simple pie chart of what the total costs of health care in this country are, and where that money goes. How much of each dollar spent on health care goes to the running of the insurance companies, how much goes to cover the ER visits of the uninsured, how much goes to the administration of the hospital or dr. office, how much goes to supplies, how much goes to doctors, lab work, medication? Then I'd like to see another pie chart that shows how much of that funding comes from insurance premiums, how much from out of pocket, how much from the government?

I do know that this country pays a lot for its health care, and I don't think it gets its money's worth.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote