Thread: School, Again
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Academia is the last remaining vestige of the feudal system, with petty fiefdoms, serfs, power plays, a ruling elite, attendant vassals, an arcane system of ranking and privilege - it's bizarre.
that must be why I like it - reminds me of my other life as a Princess.

Srsly, I agree with everything you've said up there. Academia is nuttier than circus peanuts and twice as evil. The shimmering patina of a grad. degree no longer holds any allure for me. Bloom off the rose and all that; I see NOW who these people really are: Martin Prince as Oberon. Do you realize that I have corresponded with a man who signs his "e-missives" to me with "more anon," ? I mean, ew.

The fact that it's taken me 6 years to figure out what a complete asshole this guy is - a self-serving snob, a dirty old man, taking me on, no doubt, due to his fucked up notion of noblesse oblige to the poor little middle class- makes me doubt myself in a very real way.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote