View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #1503
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was thinking of this when I went to get Grandad's shopping today.
Two miles in the tall heat, occupied by an internal monolgue which effectively boiled down to you are wrong.

When I got home I realised it was unfair and unnecessary.
And after all, anyone who likes Kate Atkinson is alright in my book(s).
Just hope you like Esther Freud now...
And I'm very flattered you followed my recommendation despite the mismatch

I'm reading the second in the Chaos Walking series (trilogy? not sure yet) by Patrick Ness - The Ask and the Answer. The first book, The Knife of Never Letting Go was so captivating, I've read it about 5 times. I was waiting for the papernack to come out, but a generous benefactor sent me a birthday prize and I capitulated and bought the hardback.

It's good, but not quite as good as the first. Well, I'm a third of the way through so maybe that's not fair. The premise of the first was breathtaking, so of course another novel set in the same scheme of things can never have quite the same impact. But it's emotionally engaging, the characters are as conflicted as previously and I feel their hurt as much. I haven't cried yet - but I suspect Ness has something up his sleeve... Like Atkinson, the emotional impact of his words remain long after you finish reading.

Oh, it's technically a children's book. Blimey - they have to be so much tougher than we were if they have the stomach for this. It's a battering. In a good way. I'll always venerate Rowling for making it is acceptable to read good children's literature. It was my guilty secret for so many years. Although bless her - even the Deathly Hallows doesn't approach the intensity of this. Horses for courses.

Last edited by Sundae; 07-02-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote