View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

I wouldn't worry at all about doing the potatoes or onions ahead of time; the major question will be about the noodles. If they're in contact with the moisture in the 'taters for days, they might get too mushy. (But it might not be such a bad thing if they did -- comfort food isn't supposed to be 'al dente'!)

Would you be willing to do the noodle-boiling and assembly on Wednesday? If not, it shouldn't be that big a deal. I've made veggie lasagnas 24 hours in advance with no ill effects.

If the lasagna is coming straight from fridge to the oven, I'd increase the cooking time by at least 15 minutes and drop the temp to 350 to let the center get warm before the top scorches, since the original recipe was based on having the filling already hot. If you have a probe thermometer, this can help take the guesswork out of knowing when it's hot enough. It may take significantly longer than an extra 15 minutes -- lasagna has a huge thermal mass! You can also test the temperature by stabbing it in the center with a sharp knife, then carefully touching the tip of the blade - if it's cold, the lasagna is still cold. If the top looks like it is over-browning and the center is still cold, cover it loosely with aluminum foil for the rest of its sojourn in the oven.

All the ingredients are cooked prior to assembly, so that reduces food-safety concerns one might have.

Best wishes for your 'bad day'! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!