View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

El Sicómoro is dealing with a slightly irritating boss situation right about now...I was telling UT about this Saturday. At least I don't have to deal with it today...whoohoo! Paid days off rule!

My boss left the company last month. And it doesn't look like his position is going to be filled until January, so until it is, his boss is now my boss.

Unfortunately my "new" boss is not overly familiar with the functioning of my department. Since coming to the company 9 months ago, her main focuses have been the other department with which we're grouped, and our new database, which we roll out in February.

When I first came back to the company, I would have questions about things that needed to be done, like any rookie. And my boss normally didn't start work until 1:45p, so I would wind up asking her. Well, this became a tad problematic, as she just didn't "get" what I was asking or just didn't really know. So, I quit asking her questions, unless it was something that absolutely needed a boss's answer.

She and I "miscommunicate" all the time. I think b/c her focus has been the new system, and b/c she just doesn't know our department very well, we just completely miss each other. When she asks me about a procedure, she's looking at it in terms of the new system, while I'm still thinking current system. One day a couple of weeks ago, she asked me exactly what we do as a department, and when I explained (while showing her at the same time), it was completely new to her...and apparently confusing as well.

And while she is a fairly nice person, I don't like the whole miscommunicating thing...Jesus Christ, it drives me nuts. And I was dreading the day my boss left, b/c I knew I'd have to deal with her more frequently.

Any time she asks me something now, I focus very intently on what she is asking. And if she asks me to do something, I always make sure I know exactly how she wants it (lots of detail, summary, etc.). Actually, I'm curious as to how she is going to reply to the information I threw at her before I left Friday night. We'll see tomorrow. But so far, it seems to be working well.

Plus, I can post out to another department in January if she irritates me too much.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote