View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #4448
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
"When I was a kid" speech. . ..

We were expected to show up to school with notebook paper (preferably in a notebook) and/or spiral notebooks, along with some pens and pencils. There was no such thing as a "school supply list." If we needed something particular, the teacher would say so at the time. ("OK, next week we're going to start on geometry. Everybody needs to get a protractor." etc.)

Now we get extensive, detailed lists. (3 1-inch thick binders and 1 3-inch binder.) To add insult to injury, in some cases stuff that was on the list was never used! (4x6" post-it notes??? We couldn't find any--we "made do" with 3.5x5" and then they never used them.)

I'm convinced Staples is paying off teachers.
The thing that irritates me is when they use parents to cover their janitorial supply budget. Among other things, our list included two boxes of Kleenex, two tubes of Wet Ones, and a box of quart-size Ziplock baggies with EZ sliders. But my mother-in-law (who is a preschool teacher in another city) says they have no choice--the school says they simply don't have the money to stock Kleenex for them anymore, so either the parents buy it or the teacher buys it all herself.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote