View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #73
Flint
Snowflake

I often hear people stating that they do not feel comfortable giving their government the power to end a person's life--the reason being that an institution conceived of and administered by human beings is inherently flawed, and that this power over life and death should not be trusted to such an institution.

Also...

I often hear people stating that they do not feel comfortable giving their government the power to administrate a healthcare system--the reason being that the government cannot be trusted to do a good job at anything, i.e. delivering mail, etc. therefore this power should not be trusted to such an institution.

What happens when you throw all of these assessments together and try to make them work in the same reality?

Quote:
...cases of kidnapping, rape, and murder are all worthy of the death penalty in my opinion...
You don't think that some objective assessment of whether the person is actually guilty or not should factor into this (other than the original verdict of guilty, the 100% reliability of which is precisely what is at question here)? Let me be more clear: if an innocent person is wrongly convicted of something really bad how does that make them more guilty than an innocent person convicted of a lesser offense?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote