Thread: New Uber Box
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001, 09:58 AM   #9
dave

FUCK!

I just had this fucking monster post written about the SunBlade, Sperlock's problem and coolers. And then I accidentally clicked a fucking favorite on the toolbar and BAM! GONE!

FUCK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sperlock
My current project with Debian (Potato, 2.2r4) is figuring out why I'm having trouble mounting my hard drive that has Windows on it. Having to burn a CD/use floppies is very annoying. I'll try asking for help here if the next idea I want to try doesn't work.
mkdir /mnt/wintest; mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/wintest

replace hda1 with whatever it actually is. But it's probably hda1. I had this written out better, but SEE ABOVE.

FUCK!

Jaguar -

Imagine a 500MHz 64-bit ULTRA II-based system. Imagine 2 Gigs of RAM and 20 GB hard drive standard. Love.

Imagine that it takes standard PC-133 RAM, so you could buy some from Crucial and slap it in. Imagine you could pop in another 40 gig drive and have 60 gigs of Solaris goodness. Imagine that it would work with your KVM switch. LOVE.

Imagine that you could add a Sun PCI II card to the system, which would allow you to run Windows and Solaris simultaneously, on the same system, and even CUT AND PASTE between the two. Imagine two computers in one case. Imagine it was the size of an Ultra 5. LOVE!

Imagine $995 including shipping.

4 computers on my desk in 3 cases. All using the same monitor. Different mouse & keyboard for the Windows/Solaris box. But still pretty fucking great. And the SunBlade will go right under my monitor, so I don't even need to clear any space - it's a desktop system. Very cool.

http://www.sun.com/desktop/sunblade100/

I should have a Windows box at home, 'cause it'd be a good idea. I can put SODIMM's on the Sun PCI II card, so that way I can upgrade it as I please. Give Windows plenty of memory. It would be a hell of a setup. Hell of a setup. I need to learn Solaris better anyway. I know some of its specifics, but not as many as I should, considering I write software for Solaris.

Anyway. Back to the Uber box.

I'm 99% sure that the heatsinks I'm going to use are the Thermalright SK6 with 38 CFM Delta fans. They're gonna cost me $41 each, but they should certainly do the trick. I'm not ordering them yet - gonna wait a bit. But they should definitely keep the processors nice and cool