Thread: Life's a...
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #26
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
In the last 8 months I've lost both my children to a devastating metabolic and immunological disease that is costing around $1000 a month to treat, and may or may not affect them for the rest of their lives. They may be completely independent normal adults, or have to live at home, have no friends, and be unable to hold a job, their futures uncertain after I die--it's totally up in the air. I have learned a completely new dietary lifestyle, and stopped being able to eat out of the house, ever. I have discovered in the process that I am almost certainly an undiagnosed Celiac, as I can no longer eat bread products even on the sly without severe stomach pain. I am aware this greatly increases my risk of getting the colon cancer than runs in my family. I have lost friends over my new lifestyle, but gained a few new ones. I have told off our pediatrician. I have started a website that I secretly hope will somehow make me millions.

Next?

I was shocked at first. Generally when people say they've "lost" their children to a disease, they mean their children died. I'm not discounting what you've gone through, I'm just talking about the words you use to describe it. I can't imagine the pain of going through my daughter having a life long illness, let alone actually losing her.