View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
If it takes 10-12 years for these guys to learn their jobs, we're electing the wrong guys.
It absolutely takes years to develop that highest level of expertise and know all of the ins and outs of the executive branch that Congress is charged to oversee. It also takes time to build up credibility within the institution so that one can take leadership roles on important legislative issues of interest to constituents back home and the nation as a whole.

And it makes much more sense to me to keep that expertise around (if that is the choice of the voters of that district/state) rather than building that expertise from scratch every election or even every 10-12 years.

Thats not to say that I dont want to see more turnover in Congress. New blood adds new perspectives, and that is always good for any institution. But not though wholesale turnover. IMO, that is not the most productive way to run any large institution.

And I simply dont want to limit one's choice to keep their current representation, but would rather expand choices through comprehensive campaign finance reform to make it easier to challenge incumbents on a more level playing field.

Last edited by Redux; 09-23-2009 at 12:39 PM.