View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #1953
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Mildly irritating me this week is the situation regarding EPIRBs and PLBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons and Personal Locator Beacons).

I go hiking a fair bit, usually alone. For safety reasons, in January 2005, I bought an EPIRB for about $250. It can send a radio signal to planes or satellites which is a distress signal, and will cause helicopters to come looking for me. It was expensive but a good investement and should last for decades.

In February 2009, the satellite system was turned off, to bring in a new digital signalling system. My old EPIRB no longer works (and I only just found this out, my hike last Easter was done with a heavy, yellow paperweight in my bag and a false sense of security!).

So I have just bought a new one. Now, true, the new system is better. Instead of an anonymous signal accurate to within 5km, the new device uses GPS to figure out my location to within 100 metres, then transmits a coded signal which will tell the rescuers who I am (once I do the online registration :p) and where I am. The signal will be received MUCH faster, too, a matter of five minutes rather than up to five hours, and the search-and-rescue becomes come-and-get-me. If I am lying lost and dehydrated with a broken leg and a snake-bite, speed will be good.

However, the new units are bloody pricey. RRP around $750!!! Crapola!
On the good side, the blessed internet enabled me to find a much better price, a mere $540. Great, barely twice what the last one cost.

So, I have my new gadget, but I am still irritated about the early obselescence of the old one, and I am wondering how long the new one will be servicable.