View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #1412
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm confused. If a person currently has health problems and no health insurance, in all likelihood they'd save money by jumping onto a government plan. It's the people who have no coverage and aren't sick that are getting sucked in against their will...
Clod...it is not jumping into a government plan.

Those w/o insurance would have the opportunity to purchase through the Insurance Exchange administered by the government, but with plans offered by the private sector.

To participate in the Exchange, insurance companies would be required to offer 4 plan levels, from basic to premium, priced accordingly....envision those companies competing for those millions of new consumers through more competitive pricing than presently exists. The public option would simply be one more plan to further drive competition.

The added benefit for those currently with insurance is that companies participating in the Exchange would be required to offer the same more competitive pricing to employer-based plans.

As to mandated those who have no coverage arent sick, consider that 1) insurance is not just for the sick, but as a safeguard against an unanticipated medical emergency and 2) when they many of those uninsured now get sick and go to the emergency room for routine treatment or face a catastrophic medical emergency and renege on the bill, then the rest of us pay for it in higher premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Me too, The problem is that I'd bet most of those who voted for this don't know the answer either.
If I know the answer, I dont think it is unreasonable to think that most members of Congress do as well.