Thread: Post Your Pet
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #1089
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1) I agree, but these guys are fascinating me now. They are awesome creatures. I don't care that they're not that bright; that's their lot in life as reptiles, but the whole shell thing is really cool and how they swim with it is ultra-cool. Plus they're kinda cute-ugly if you know what I mean.

2) No, they are "Tiger" and "Moon". Tiger is the aggressive one, Moon is the laid-back one. I wanted them to have rather universal names because they will probably outlive me, if I manage them well, so they need names that will last. Plus, they can't be sexed for another 2-3 years... their names need to outlive that too.

3) Terrapin Station, SG, is the name of one of the more notable Grateful Dead albums. Their aquarium is not named that. Once I realized that they were in fact terrapins -- aquatic turtles, as opposed to their land-based brethren who are tortoises -- the name was the second thought that occurred to me. But that's the problem: it's too obvious. Everybody with terrapins will use that name. Therefore, their homeland shall be known as: Terrapin Depot.

4) Their diet consists of little miniature logs of compressed turtle food, which is the professionally-recommended diet. As a treat, they get a few dead, dried shrimp, which are about a cm long and really gross. Apparently the turtles have the talent to catch and eat feeder goldfish; I don't know if mine are big enough to handle that task, but I'm gonna have them try it soon. J is against the idea because it's cruel. I can't wait to watch them have a go at it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote