View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #1519
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post

Where I would disagree most is the author's suggestion to minimize the government role. Without regulation, IMO, it is a pipe dream to think that a free market approach would put consumer care above profit....be it insurance companies, hospitals or private practitioners.
I agree with you on this. I also think our current system is so opaque that it is difficult to discern which practices, treatments, etc. are the most beneficial for patients.

I do see problems with government funded treatment, as well. For example, I am currently on medicare/medicaid. Medicaid will not cover prescriptions for many anti-anxiety drugs or sleep medications. When I came down with bronchitis, medicaid would not cover the cost of my cough syrup which contained codeine. I don't know if such limitations are a result of the war on drugs or some Puritanical refusal to cover certain medications. It makes no sense to me. I pay nothing for a drug that would cost over $200/month without insurance, yet must pay $20.00 for 30 halcion tabs (for sleep)? My generic anti-depressant is covered, but not my generic cough syrup? What?

Last edited by SamIam; 12-27-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: *sigh* spelling, spelling, spelling
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote