View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #1572
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Again, I am neither an "R" nor a "D". I have very personal & private reasons for my comments, questions and opinions about this legislation. If you really want to know, PM me.

For the hundredth time - STOP lumping people together. Take each on his or her own for their own merits and/or posts. You know Merc as well or should I say as little as I do, Jinx too for that matter.
Just untwist your panties and relax.

Oh, Are there links that specifically back up your claims - most importantly those referring to the pre-existing conditions? That would be most helpful.
Its not the letter after your name that matters, it is the nature of your responses....and when they regurgitate right wing talking points, IMO, it is partisan....and when they sound just like others, I will lump them with others.

But putting that aside.

The immediate benefits regarding pre-existing conditions is in the Senate legislation. I dont know a better source than that:
Quote:
Subtitle B--Immediate Actions to Preserve and Expand Coverage

SEC. 1101. IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO INSURANCE FOR UNINSURED INDIVIDUALS WITH A PREEXISTING CONDITION.

(a) In General- Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall establish a temporary high risk health insurance pool program to provide health insurance coverage for eligible individuals during the period beginning on the date on which such program is established and ending on January 1, 2014.

(These temporary pools will be administered by the states.)

(In terms of costs, the insurance company has to pay at least 2/3 and there are limits on out-of-pocket expenses):

(A) provides to all eligible individuals health insurance coverage that does not impose any preexisting condition exclusion with respect to such coverage;

(B) provides health insurance coverage--

(i) in which the issuer's share of the total allowed costs of benefits provided under such coverage is not less than 65 percent of such costs; and

(ii) that has an out of pocket limit not greater than the applicable amount described in section 223(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 for the year involved, except that the Secretary may modify such limit if necessary to ensure the pool meets the actuarial value limit under clause (i)...

(see the IRS code for the latest limits that apply to medical savings accounts...the same limits would apply.)

(In terms of eligible individuals, all of the below must apply):

(d) Eligible Individual- An individual shall be deemed to be an eligible individual for purposes of this section if such individual--

(1) is a citizen or national of the United States or is lawfully present in the United States (as determined in accordance with section 1411);

(2) has not been covered under creditable coverage (as defined in section 2701(c)(1) of the Public Health Service Act as in effect on the date of enactment of this Act) during the 6-month period prior to the date on which such individual is applying for coverage through the high risk pool; and

(3) has a pre-existing condition, as determined in a manner consistent with guidance issued by the Secretary.
There are also provisions to immediately extend coverage to children on a family plan up to the age of 27 (sec 2714)

For the full bill, go to thomas.loc.gov and seach the bill number HR 3590

If this is important to you, I would suggest calling or e-mailing your Senator and requesting more information.

As I said, I dont claim to be an expert, but I do have a pretty good understanding of what are in these bills.

Last edited by Redux; 12-28-2009 at 11:28 PM.