Thread: Post Your Pet
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #1133
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
@Dana - so hangonaminnit - aren't dogs allowed off the lead without a muzzle in the UK?
Only if they're on the dangerous breeds list; or if they are known to be dangerous. Pilau is mainly a danger to himself :P But...whilst I have never known him do a full on bite, he has been known to nip, particularly if he's got over-excited about something (like chasing a bird or a squirrel) Mainly when he does this, he's going for clothing, but if his teeth go through the clothing, it can hurt like buggery, and even a small puncture wound can get infected.

Even if he doesn't actually nip, if he goes flying at someobody to chase them away, with his jaws wide open and his top lip drawn back, it can be quite scary. Yes, he's a cutey but he's also quite a big dog, and when he's in savage mode he's a lot less cute:P

I generally don't let him off, even with the muzzle, if there are people around. But at least if someone suddenly appears over the rise, and he flies at them, they aren;t treated to the sight of his snappy jaws.

Most dog-people can tell the difference between a proper full-on bite and a collie herding nip. But not everyone can, so as much for his protection as theirs, I muzzle him. That and, though he's never nipped a youngster, I don't think I'd forgive myself if he hurt a kiddie. I also don't want him frightening them. Basically I just can't fully trust him off the lead without one. He's only nipped at maybe four or five people (including me!) in his 11 years. Mostly that's been grabbing at clothing. But he does have a tendency to run and bark at people when I take him out. Not when J, or Mum take him out, just when i do, he's over-protective.

[eta] actually, he will bite if someone puts their hand to him. He doesn't like strangers trying to stroke him. Again, we're not talking a full-on savage bite like you'd get from a staffy (had one of those when I was delivering leaflets a few years ago) but he will snap at the fingers and break the skin.

@ Jinx and Jim: God's teeth, that cat is ridiculously gorgeous!

Last edited by DanaC; 01-03-2010 at 05:57 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote