View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #1666
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
There are also more MAJOR issues going on now, wouldn't you say? I'm not defending either party's actions.
Absolutely.

Like health care reform.

And for the first time in our lifetime, Congress and the White House have taken on the issue of serious and comprehensive health care reform.

The process has taken nine months, with hearings in numerous committees in both the House and Senate and town meetings around the country.

The Democrats will use the procedures available to them to prevent any further delay or obstruction that is solely for the purpose of delay or obstruction.

I have said repeatedly that I dont think the current legislation is perfect and most Americans probably agree for various reasons...it goes too far, it doesnt far enough.

It is built on an imperfect foundation (employer-based insurance) and IMO, to tear apart that foundation and start from scratch would be far too destructive.

But it does offer significant benefits to nearly all Americans....

...affordable and accessible insurance for 30+ million hard working people who are in the unfortunate circumstance of working for a small business that is not able to offer subsidized insurance.

--- greater protections for nearly 200 million Americans who receive their health insurance through their employer...no more exclusions, no more going bankrupt as a result of excessive out-of-pocket expenses.

And IMO, once implemented, with a much larger risk pool and new restrictions on insurance companies, it will reign in the costs that have been rising at 2-3 times the rate of wage/salary increases. Others will disagree.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Redux; 01-06-2010 at 08:39 AM.