Thread: Going Postal
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
So I do know what I'm talking about. Your suggestion of using the rocket launcher as a means to increase your speed suggest that you are in fact confused.
No. The standard movement is 320 units per second (ups) running in Q3. With a combination of rocket jumps and strafe jumps, one can easily push 1000ups on normal levels and over 3000ups on levels designed for running. If by "confused" you mean "dead-on with regards to essentially everything Quake 3 related", then yes, I am, in fact, confused.

The "bunny hop"/strafe jump and rocket jumps are indeed "bugs" in the sense that they were unintended, as is the fact that frames per second affects your jumping height. They're also bugs in the sense that id has known about them for 6 and 7 years, respectively, and has not fixed them (and has even re-introduced them in subsequent versions of the games).

The fact of the matter is that the rocket launcher can indeed be used to increase speed when fired into a close wall. I have been playing competetive Q3 for nearly four years now, just got done a competetive match, and have every idea what I am talking about.

Quote:
Neither should be seen as "features".
Says who? The people that like slow paced, boring games? Yes, if my reaction time were in the kiloseconds, I suppose I might care about that too. As it is, part of the greatness of Q3 is that it forces quick decisions and strong teamwork (in team based mods, anyway).

Quote:
Sin combated both of these issues. The gun you used to "jump" fired plasma in a stream and you pretty much used it as a jetpack.
Oh yeah, that's so much more realistic! Plasma climbing is a possibility in Q3 as well, though one must be near a wall to do it.

I haven't played the other games enough to comment fully on them, but UT's rocket launcher was one of the most awful weapon designs unleashed upon a game. Perhaps that's part of the reason why there are still $40,000 cash prizes for competetive Q3 but no one holds large scale UT tournaments?