View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Getting a friend help

I'm not going to go into much detail right now but any suggestions would help.

To sum it up, my roommate got arrested yesterday and will most likely face charges of resisting arrest but could get up to assaulting a police officer. We were at a party last night and the cops showed up and started kicking everyone out. I left right away but my drunk and depressed roommate, who historically has problems with authority figures, kept asking if he could finish a beer and the police officer repeatably said no. Turns out he walked out the back door, with the beer, then preceded to drink it right in front of a police officer. After ignoring orders to put it back inside he was held by the police and then he started struggling and got forced to the ground. I could not hear what was being said, I did not want to get too close, but he may have threatened the cops and he for sure made a big scene about it.

This is an obvious call for attention. All he could have done was drop the beer but he wanted to push the cop's buttons and wanted to see what would happen. My friends and I have noticed this this call for attention in the past but never thought it would go this far. My friend group is also full of extremely intelligent people who are very good at analyzing people but none of us have gotten even close to figuring him out.

I am assuming he will just get a resisting arrest charge but worst case scenario he will get threatening police officer, get kicked out of college (he is on his last semester), get kicked out of Law school (he got accepted to two schools), get placed with a massive bill and fine (he is already is massive debt), and not be able to get a job.

As I said in my past thread, I am past fed up with him but I feel leaving him to fend for himself would be immoral and hurtful to his family and other groups of friends. So, right now, I have decided that the best course of action is to push him to get professional help (counseling or whatever) and not insulting criticism, my usual method. Problem is that he, at least historically, is very resistant to this type of "help" and would prefer the world to change for him. Every single one of my friends have tried to help out on some issue of his and none of us have succeeded. Professional help is the only way he might be able to get back on track IMO. I should have the support of most of my friend group so that will help but as I said earlier, he will probably react by thinking we are all against him.

So, any personal suggestions or advice? I will update this as I get more information.